Pose for the paparazzi. Autograph your books.
Write like a dream, promote like a rock star.
Fame and fortune are yours!

Friday, May 24, 2013

Writers, grip the net

"In this system that I have invented, it is necessary for the machine to get a grip of the earth, otherwise it cannot shake the earth. It has to have a grip... so that the whole of this globe can quiver." 

Promotional illustration for Tesla's "World System"
Around the turn of the 20th century, genius inventor Nikola Tesla proposed to build a global system of wireless communications. I don't know if he thought about something like the Internet, but possibly the Internet is the result of that kind of thinking. As a large community of users of the net, we writers owe a debt of gratitude to the chain of thinking and tinkering that has led to this moment in time when publishing our ideas is so easy and inexpensive to do.

In this spirit, I'd like to take the liberty of tinkering with Tesla's quote.


"In this system, it is necessary for WRITERS to get a grip of the Internet, otherwise we cannot shake the earth. We have to have a grip... so that the whole of this globe can quiver."

The Internet is a showcase of human life, the good and not so good. Underlying it all, making sense of it all, is content. That's where we come in.

Since my first blog in 2007, I have attempted to grip this thing that feels like the wild wild west of new technologies being constantly released. I have no gifts when it comes to creating technology (I wish), but I do know how to use it. Or better put, I know how to learn how to use it. I've learned how to make the technologies serve my writing.

Every day our in-boxes are spammed with some new software or process or system or strategy that promises to help us sell more, be more popular, build our lists, make more money, but we writers should never lose sight of our purpose—to grip the net so that we can shake the earth and make the whole of this globe quiver.

I want to make life for my children and theirs much better than what we're seeing now. Genesis 1 talks about God speaking, with words, the world into existence. John 1:1 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." 

Writing stars, that's our power and our responsibility—to be a force for positive creation and good in the world with our words, and to put technology in service to that purpose.

Donna Marie

Check out The Celebrity Editor on Pinterest! here

No comments:

Post a Comment