Pose for the paparazzi. Autograph your books.
Write like a dream, promote like a rock star.
Fame and fortune are yours!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

I'm back

Hi guys!

I've missed you so much, and I know it's been a long time since I last posted. In 2011, I accepted a "real job" that turned out to be extremely demanding. Not only did I have to learn an entirely new language, new jargon, new technologies, and a new industry, in the process I reinvented my corporate self as a business development writer. I still have the soul of a creative writer, but those damn bills had to be paid.

I've been learning a lot, and hope to share all with you. More than ever, I'm fascinated with the intersection between our craft and business realities. As writers, we walk a fine line between writing about what we love and writing to pay the bills. It's a delicate balancing act.

To be honest, I wasn't excited about reinventing myself at my age. It's been extraordinarily difficult. I'm the oldest member of our team, and came in with no industry skills. Yikes! All I had were my writing, editing, and proofing skills, and honestly, sometimes that wasn't enough. This reinvention has been challenging, but it's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it—and when your back is against the wall! 

My first love will always be working with indie writers, both purist and nontraditional (speakers, etc.). I'm more convinced than ever that we must meet the times head on and learn from other disciplines.We must embrace branding, marketing, creative financing, and even merchandising. And we must get out in front of technology.

We've got a lot to talk about, so let's reboot!

Donna Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment