Pose for the paparazzi. Autograph your books.
Write like a dream, promote like a rock star.
Fame and fortune are yours!

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Writing to serve, make money or both?

Writing stars, I have to admit that I'm often usually focused more on survival and making money than writing to serve, entertain, and inform. But today I read an article by Dharmesh Shah, the founder of HubSpot, that got me thinking about my profession in a different, much better way. He says,

Stop thinking about making a million dollars 
and start thinking about 
serving a million people.

I love that. Just this one thought is challenging me to write to serve. That's a totally different mindset.

Providing a service and making money don't have to be mutually exclusive. Look at Deepak Chopra, Stephen King and Toni Morrison. They're amazing writers serving the public in different genres, and they're all providing a service, and they're all wealthy. Whether writing to inspire, educate, or entertain, you're providing a service to readers. As these celebrity authors have demonstrated, service and making money can occur at the same time, but if you're singularly focused on one or the other, your work will be out of balance.

Starting now I'm writing to serve millions and to make the same. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Love!
Donna Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment